WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE SCHEME?
- Aged 2-17 years
- Eligible for Medicare
- Whose family, carer or guardian received Family Tax Benefit Part A, or who receive the following government payments: ABSTUDY, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, Parenting Payment, Special Benefit, Youth Allowance, Double Orphan Pension or
- 16 years of age or older and receiving financial assistance under the Veterans’ Children Education Scheme or the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme.
Note: The voucher will be sent to the teenager, family, carer or guardian receiving the government payment.
WHAT DOES THE SCHEME COVER?
Benefits for basic dental services are capped at $1,000 per child over 2 consecutive calendar years.
If you do not use all of your $1,000 benefits in the first year of eligibility, you can use it in the second year if you are still eligible.
Any remaining balance will not be carried forward at the end of the second year.
Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be paid for any services provided in a hospital.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule services will not count towards the Medicare Safety Net or the Extended Medicare Safety Net thresholds.
Benefits will cover a range of services including:
- A scale and clean
- Root canal therapy
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Dietary advice
- Sealing of pits or cracks in a tooth (fissure sealing).
HOW I USE THE ALLOWANCE?
Make an appointment with a dentist
When making an appointment there are some questions you should ask.
- Does the dentist accept the voucher?
- Will the voucher cover the full cost of the check?
- Will there be any additional costs?
Go to the appointment with the voucher and claim for your preventative dental check
After your preventative dental check, the dentist will bill you in one of these two ways.
Bulk bill the service by asking you to sign an assignment of benefit from with no cost to you.
Ask you to pay for your appointment in full, up front – you then claim your benefit from Medicare Australia, just like other Medicare benefits.
Note: if the dentist charges more than the government rebate, you will need to pay the difference.
For more information visit us Online or Email
Visit your local Medicare office
Call 132 011*
TTY 1800 552 152**
TIS 131 450* (Translating and Interpreting Service)
If you need help translating this information call the TIS on 131 450*.
† Benefit for the two calendar years after receiving the voucher.
* Call charges apply.
** Call charges apply from mobile and pay phones only.
Please call one of our friendly staff on (02) 9410 2001 if you would like to make an appointment for this service.
Information for families
Further information for families on the CDBS is available from the Department of Human Services website.