Teeth whitening is a great way to get that dazzling, confident white smile that you’ve always wanted. Stained enamel is a common part of life, as tooth discolouration can happen due to age, genetics, tobacco use or consumption of dark beverages like coffee and wine, the lifeblood of Australia. However, this shouldn’t stop you from looking your best. At Randwick Dental Clinic in Sydney, we offer in-office and take-home ZOOM! teeth whitening. If you are considering this treatment, here are some things you should avoid and tips on taking care of your new white teeth.
What to do before getting teeth whitened
To prepare for teeth whitening, whether it’s at home or in the office, here are some things you should do:
- Eat! Make sure you have something in your belly, because once the trays are in or once the session has started, you won’t have a chance to have a snack.
- Brush and floss your teeth. There’s no point to attempting a proper teeth whitening if there are food particles in your teeth. This could lead to spotted teeth.
- Ensure your trays fit. If you’re taking a kit home, make sure the trays fit your teeth before you leave the dentist. It’s annoying to put the gel in the trays only to find out that they don’t fit.
After care notes—what to avoid
In the 24 hours after your treatment, you should take care of what you consume and do if you want the effects to last. You must avoid:
- Dark staining drinks like tea, coffee, red wine, soft drinks, fruit juice, etc.
- Any foods or drinks that would leave a stain on a white shirt.
- Smoking cigarettes (moderate use of e-cigarettes is ok).
- Coloured toothpaste or mouthwash
What can I eat and drink?
In the first 24 hours after your treatment, you want to stick to clear drinks and ‘white food.’ Here is some of the food you can eat.
- Plain, skinless, fatless chicken or turkey
- White fish
- White rice
- Plain pasta
- White cheese
- White onion
- Egg whites
- Peeled potatoes (fish and chips!)
- Crustless white bread
- White cereals
- Low-fat yoghurt
Some of the drinks that you can consume after your teeth whitening treatment are:
- White wine
- Still or sparkling water
- Clear coconut water (not milk!)
- Clear alcohol mixed with clear mixers (i.e. gin and tonic, hold the lime)
Teeth whitening can work wonders and even small miracles when it comes to beautifying your smile. Follow these simple guidelines to get the best possible results! Talk to the dentists at Randwick Dental Clinic in Sydney for more information about teeth whitening.